IBDP English Language B

An Exceptional Learning Experience


Our English Language Acquisition Programme is designed to help students learn how to critically study and interpret written and spoken texts from a wide range of literary and non literary genres.


The programme gives students a thorough understanding of what is required for Papers 1 & 2 of the exam.


Strong focus is put on question types that my appear in paper 1.

Examples of these types are:

  • Choosing which of a number of sentences are true according to the text
  • Gap-filling exercises based on comprehension of the text
  • Identifying clear inference from concepts (for example, “The text says that 60% of people think. What does this mean with regards to the remaining 40%?”)
  • Identifying precise references of key phrases or structures (for example, “In line x, to whom does the word ‘they’ refer?”)
  • Identifying related ideas that are in different parts of the text
  • Identifying specific content items
  • Identifying whether an explanation or definition is true or false, and finding the evidence for this in the text


For Paper 2, students learn a variety of text types that include, but are not limited to:

  • Article, column
  • Blog
  • Brochure, leaflet, flyer, pamphlet, advertisement
  • Essay
  • Interview in any form
  • News report
  • Report


Areas looked at in detail include:

Communication and media

Global issues

Social relationships

Knowledge of vocabulary relevant to the topic


Our current batch of IBDP students are from Yew Chung International, PLK Choi Kai Yau, and Lutheran Academy. We are sure you will enjoy the challenging and stimulating learning environment we can provide.